MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville Women's Ice Hockey team continued their mid-season non-conference stretch on Tuesday night as they hosted local rival, Utica College. The Mustangs handed the Pioneers their first loss of the season by the score of 4-2 behind Mackenzie Lombardi's (Hamilton, Ont.) hat trick.
- Final Score:
- Morrisville St. 4, Utica 2
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Morrisville St. (7-3-1), Utica (9-1-0)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Mustangs jumped out to the early lead just over six minutes into the game as Lombardi posted her first goal of the contest off of a rebound in front of the net.
- Jessica Ujcik (Munich, Germany) gave Morrisville the 2-0 lead, finding the back of the net during the Mustangs' lone power play opportunity at the 13:27 mark in the first. Chyne Kennedy (Southwold, Ont.) and Kaitlyn Schlake (Nampa, Idaho) picked up the assists.
- Lombardi posted her second goal just under a minute later, putting back Maddision Devlin's (Campbell River, B.C.) initial shot.
- The momentum evened out in the second period as Utica and Morrisville matched each other shot for shot. However, Lombardi picked up the hat trick with just over six minutes left in the second.
- The Pioneers did not let the Mustangs walk away with the home ice victory without a fight, posting two goals of their own in the third period. Elizabeth Dohner registered both tallies for Utica. The first came at 25 seconds into the final period while the second was a power play strike at 14:08.
- Karoline Arvik (Trondheim, Norway) posted 20 saves to earn the victory in net for the Mustangs.
Morrisville will hit the road this weekend for another non-conference series with the Ravens of Franklin Pierce. Friday's puck drop is scheduled for 7 PM, while Saturday is scheduled for 1 PM.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.